Sunday, March 02, 2008

Spring Preview

It's about this time of year that the cold, snowy days of winter need to come to an end. A person can only take so much. Well, all week long, the various news channels have been forecasting unseasonal weather for the weekend. I didn't dare believe it until I witnessed it with my own eyes. Lo and behold, they were right. Yesterday was a perfect spring day. It actually got up to 74 degrees. I made the executive decision to put off chores and errands so we could take advantage of the weather instead. Dada, Connor and I set off in the morning for a trip to the park. Dada and I walked while Connor rode his tricycle. On the way, we had to go by the fire station. They happened to have all the garage doors open, so Dada asked Connor if he wanted to go check out the fire truck. He didn't have to ask him twice. Connor turned his bike and off he went to check it out. A female firefighter came out about the time we made it up to the fire truck. The doors on the fire truck were open, and a lot of the firefighters' gear was inside. Connor asked her if "those" were their jackets. She said yes they are, and they smell like smoke since they had to put out a fire this morning. She asked him if he wanted to get in the fire truck. He actually said no. [gasp!] She then asked him if he wanted a firemen's hat. He said, "No thank you. I have this one (pointing to the bicycle helmet he was wearing)." After a bit more small talk, we left the fire station to continue on our walk. Connor was a trooper on his bike. He only tried to run me over once. Once we got to the park, we took a brief rest before the playing began. Once he was ready to start playing, he was off and running. I just don't have enough energy to keep up with him, so it's a good thing Dada was with us.
























.
.
.
When the boys were done horsing around, I announced that I was starving. They agreed they were too, so Connor hopped back on his bike and we began our search for food. Connor made the executive decision that he wanted a cheeseburger at "Old McDonald's" so that's where we headed. After he finished his entire meal (a miracle!), we crossed the parking lot to Dairy Queen for dessert. Connor had started yawning quite a bit by this time, as it was well past his nap time. Yet he continued to be in a good mood and never let his energy level drop. With our bellies full, we slowly began the walk back home. Anyone who has been pregnant knows a trip to a restroom is often needed at the most inconvenient times. I had to make a stop as we walked past the park. While I was taking care of business, Connor was taking in all the sights around him. When I joined them, Connor announced he saw a black hawk. Dada clarified that they saw a Blackhawk helicopter. Even though we didn't get much else accomplished, it was well worth the time we were able to spend outdoors.
We've kept Connor cooped up the past few weekends between Dada and I both being sick, and the seemingly neverending painting we're trying to get done in his "big boy" bedroom, so he definitely deserved some time outdoors. Especially considering today, not even 24 hours later, we woke up to blizzard conditions and the seasonal freezing cold temperatures again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home