Saturday, May 27, 2006

A Little Fishy, He Is Not

I've been toying with the idea of enrolling in a Parent & Tot swimming class with Connor. We have some friends with a boat, so I'd like Connor to get used to his life vest as well as splish splashing in larger bodies of water than his bath tub. I finally made the call and found out that many other parents had the same idea . . . we're on a waiting list. But in an attempt to ease him into the life of a fish, I've taken him a few times to the rec center's swimming pool. Actually, his very first visit was with Aunt Tin. It lasted about 10 minutes. He wasn't too happy about it. The second time both Aunt Tin and I took him. The swimming pool at our rec center is geared specifically for younger children. One section is 6 inches deep and has fountains shooting up out of it. Other children love to play in it. Not Connor. He won't go near the fountains. Another section is only 2 1/2 feet deep. I did a few laps with Connor to try to calm him down. He had a death grip on me during the first lap. After a few more, he finally let go and let his arms dangle to his side. Then we hit the lazy river - what has become his favorite. He just sits in a little floaty and away we go, drifting around the curves and turns. We've now gone three times. This morning it only took one minute for Connor to relax. He's starting to get the hang of it. When we get out of the pool and start heading back to the locker room, he claps for himself. I guess he's proud of himself for surviving yet another torturous swimming session with me. And now that we're officially going to Aunt Julie and Uncle Derrick's (and Caleb and Abbey, of course) for the 4th of July, he might just enjoy himself in their brand new pool. I know I will!
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home